Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Sleeping Beauties



There has got to be no greater gift than watching children sleep. What goes through their tiny heads as the drift away in slumber? Each night when we lay Harrison down to sleep, we often spend time talking about Elmo or Zoe, pointing out the man and woman (Adam and Eve) in the Bible, or talking about how Jesus healed the blind man. Oh, how I enjoy those gentle moments. Harrison is so content just hearing the words and looking at the pictures. You can see his little mind trying to figure out what is happening in the books. As long as he has his mommy or daddy, blankie and water, he can drift off to sleep without much of a fight. Occasionally he enjoys talking to mommy and daddy too much and we have to get up and leave. For the most part though, he loves to have someone snuggle with him until he falls asleep.



Kate, on the other hand, could fall asleep anywhere and at anytime. She enjoys her beauty rest just like her mother. I love the quiet moments in the morning when she and I are just resting. I can look at her, and any troubled thought that I have for the moment is dismissed. She can just rest in my arms and feel completely safe. Oh if I only had the faith like a child to be able to fully rest in the arms of my Father. What greatness could I experience if I truly trusted in Him. The words of Jesus in Matthew 6 speak so clearly to me as I think of my children, life, and rest.

Do Not Be Anxious
25 "Therefore I tell you, do not be anxious about your life, what you will eat or what you will drink, nor about your body, what you will put on. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothing? 26Look at the birds of the air: they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not of more value than they? 27And which of you by being anxious can add a single hour to his span of life? 28And why are you anxious about clothing? Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow: they neither toil nor spin, 29yet I tell you, even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these. 30But if God so clothes the grass of the field, which today is alive and tomorrow is thrown into the oven, will he not much more clothe you, O you of little faith? 31Therefore do not be anxious, saying, 'What shall we eat?' or 'What shall we drink?' or 'What shall we wear?' 32For the Gentiles seek after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them all. 33But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you. 34 "Therefore do not be anxious about tomorrow, for tomorrow will be anxious for itself. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble.


May the Lord teach you to rest peacefully today.

2 comments:

Valerie said...

I love it! I can actually comment on your blogs and you can read mine too! Your little kate is precious and I so miss Harrison...I know when you come back he will be in a big boy 2 year old room, but we are still available in our room from 8-9:00am if Jeremy wants to bring him that early. We miss you!

Valerie said...

By the way... our blog is www.thegoebels.blogspot.com I just posted yearly pics of the girls...and they are wuite cute if I say so myself (: